Ice Hockey is an up and coming sport when it comes to online betting, with an increasing number of bookmakers offering a range of markets in this area due to its popularity across Europe and in the United States. The speed and physicality of games makes ice hockey a hugely exciting spectacle, with the nature of the sport meaning that many of the betting markets available online will already be familiar to those who wager on football. Those looking to gain a better understanding of how betting on ice hockey works should check out our in-depth ice hockey betting guide below, while the following tips are perhaps the most important factors to consider before backing your favourite teams and players.
- Develop a betting strategy surrounding ice hockey, focusing upon specific markets and competitions, rather than looking to become an expert across the board. Whether it be NHL betting or wagering on some of Europe’s most popular leagues, stick to what you know.
- Look out for hidden value in ice hockey markets, with many bookmakers offering certain teams high odds, even when they have a relatively good chance of winning. While the majority of betting platforms have excellent knowledge when it comes to football and basketball, ice hockey is still a relative newbie in the world of wagering.
- When learning how to bet on sports, do your research when it comes to the form and motivation of ice hockey teams, while home advantage also often plays a significant role in determining the eventual results in games.
Not sure where to bet? Get the best odds on Ice Hockey with these top operators!
NetBet Sports Bonus
- Fantastic new Customer Bonus
- User-friendly and well structured Site
- Over 1,000 different Sports Bets
- Selection of secure Payment Methods
Bet365 Sports Bonus
Bet £10 & Get £50
- Exciting Bonus for new Customers
- Renowned and reputable Operator
- Beautiful and clearly structured Website
Open Account Offer Bet £10 & Get £50 in Free Bets for new customers at bet365. Min deposit requirement. Free Bets are paid as Bet Credits and are available for use upon settlement of bets to value of qualifying deposit. Min odds, bet and payment method exclusions apply. Returns exclude Bet Credits stake. Time limits and T&Cs apply.
21.co.uk Sports Bonus
Bet £10 Get £10
- Wide range of markets, from sports to politics, available
- Daily price boosts often available
- In-play betting on 13 different sports
T&C’s apply. No deposit required, new players only. £10 paid as bonus. Claim within 3 days of registration. 7 day expiry. 50x wagering. £50 max win/withdrawal from bonus. Only bonus stakes qualify & wagering contributions vary, not all games eligible. 18+ Begambleaware.org
Bet £10 get £40 in Bonuses
Betfred Sports Bonus
Bet £10 get £40 in Bonuses
- Incredible 400% Welcome Bonus
- Wide Choice of Markets
- Clear and great structured Page
New 18+ UK customers only. Register using promo code WELCOME40, deposit and place first bet of £10+ on Sports (cumulative Evens+) within 7 days of registration. First bet must be on Sports. £30 in Free Bets and £10 in Free Spins (50x20p) credited within 10 hours of bet settlement. Free Bet stakes are not included in any returns. Bonuses have a 7-day expiry. Payment restrictions apply. SMS verification and/or Proof of I.D and address may be required. Full T&Cs apply.
Bet UK Sports Bonus
Bet £10 Get £30
- The best live odds platform
- Extensive range of betting markets
- Fantastic live betting platform
Full T&Cs apply. New customers on mobile only. 7 days to claim and stake £10 minimum bet at odds of 1.5 or greater to qualify. Free, void, cashed out or partially cashed out bets do not qualify. Max 3x £10 free bets credited on bet settlement. Free bets must be used on 4 or more selections with selection odds of 1.3 or greater. Free bets are non-withdrawable, and stake not returned with winnings. 7 day expiry. 18+BeGambleAware.org.
ICE HOCKEY PROVIDES FOR HIGH SCORING BETTING THRILLS!
How to bet on ice hockey? Those asking themselves this question should take the following factors into consideration, as they will have a significant impact upon the long-term success of your ice hockey betting strategy. Betting on ice hockey is likely to be a new pastime for many, so be sure to take on board as much information as possible. You can also use these tips when learning how to bet on American football and how to bet on rugby.
ADD TO THE FUN WITH IN ACTION BETTING STRATEGIES
Live betting is now undoubtedly one of the most exciting forms of betting nowadays, with the format of ice hockey games meaning that such markets offer excellent opportunities to earn some significant winnings. Whether it be during the regular or post-season, those who have good knowledge surrounding ice hockey or who have developed good ice hockey betting strategies will be aware of the best time to place bets. As well as this, the ability to follow a game live provides punters with a much better understanding of how a game is playing out, meaning that you can take advantage of markets such as the team to score the next goal or total number of goals.
- Studies have shown that ice hockey has more “shock” results than most team sports, as luck often plays a larger part. If you have a hunch the underdog will pull one off, trust yourself.
- Try to stay away from the gimmick markets that some bookmakers like to offer. Almost invariably, these are on things that are hard to predict, and you’re throwing money away by betting on them.
- Find a bookmaker that offers live streaming of ice hockey matches. There is no better way of picking up the rhythm of a game than watching it as it takes place.
STICK TO YOUR BUDGET
Many bookmakers will potentially raise the wagering limits when it comes to the NHL Finals, however this does not mean that you should move away from the budgets set in your ice hockey betting strategy. There is always likely to be a game which causes a surprise in terms of the number of goals scored or the amount of sin bins, meaning that the potential to lose a significant amount of cash is not worth the risk.
FIND TOP BETTING ACTION AT THESE MAJOR ICE HOCKEY COMPETITIONS
Despite the NHL generally dominating proceedings when it comes to ice hockey betting markets, there are a number of other options for punters to keep an eye on. The following are among the standout competitions and leagues from the world of ice hockey.
As one of the world’s leading sporting events, the Winter Olympics takes place every four years, with the competition for ice hockey medals always one of the highlights. Many of the NHL’s leading names represent their respective nations, with the likes of the USA, Canada and Russia having won gold in the past.
The Ice Hockey World Championships takes place every year, with the 16 leading nations from around the world battling it out for the title. At present, this is a men’s only event, unlike the Winter Olympics.
NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE (NHL)
The NHL is one of the biggest sports leagues in the world, with teams from the US and Canada helping to make up two separate conferences, the Eastern and Western. With the regular season running from October to April, a 16-team playoff competition helps to decide who will compete for the Stanley Cup. The likes of the Toronto Maple Leafs, New York Rangers and Chicago Blackhawks are among the standout teams in the NHL, while players including Patrick Kane, Alex Ovechkin and Henrik Lundqvist are among the most successful players in the history of the game.
KONTINENTAL HOCKEY LEAGUE (KHL)
The KHL is made up of teams from Belarus, China, Finland, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Russia, and Slovakia, with plans in place to add even more countries in the future. The KHL is available to bet on with many bookmakers, with the league behind only the NHL in terms of revenue. Teams such as Dynamo Moscow and Dinamo Minsk are among the top names in the KHL.
SWEDISH HOCKEY LEAGUE (SHL)
Ice hockey is the national sport in Sweden, with the SHL operating as one of Europe’s leading competitions. 14 teams help to make up the SHL, with an increasing number of former NHL players now plying their trade in Scandinavia.
FANS ARE WELL CATERED FOR WITH MULTIPLE BETTING OPTIONS
There is also an increasing number of options when it comes to ice hockey markets, with bookmakers catering for fans of the sport more and more. Let’s take a closer look at some of the standout markets, perfect for those looking to learn more about how to bet on ice hockey.
As with a large number of sports, and seen in our how to bet on wrestling guide, ice hockey fans have the chance to simply back their favourite to win a particular game, where the team with the greatest number of goals wins.
Handicap betting will be well-known to those with experience in sports wagering, with bookmakers offering such markets when one team is heavily favoured over the other. As a result, customers can bet on a particular team to win even with a goal handicap. For example, should a team be offered a handicap of -2, they must win by at least three clear goals in order for your bet to be successful.
The same as found in football, betting customers have the option to bet on how many goals will be scored during an ice hockey game, with the majority of bookmakers providing options above or below a certain amount, such as 3.5 or 4.5
Looking for more betting advice? Make sure you take a look at our how to bet on snooker and how to bet on volleyball guides!