Making a payment with PayPal – a step by step guide for Canadian online casinos that accept PayPal
PayPal is the godfather of e-wallets, one that’s known throughout the world thanks to its popularity and its association with eBay. As the most recognisable and well-known of all e-wallets, it’s a payment method that many of you will be interested in using for your betting.
However, PayPal is an e-wallet that seems to be pulling away from gambling and finding an online casino for Canada with PayPal is getting increasingly difficult. It used to be the case that all offshore betting sites offered PayPal for online casino players Canada, including two of our absolute favourites – Betway and 888Casino, but sadly this is no more and it is now the case that no online casino in Canada has PayPal.
So we’re going to take you through the reasons it’s getting more difficult to use PayPal for online casino in Canada, tell you how to use PayPal, answer your most asked questions about everything to do with PayPal online casino Canada, and point you to alternatives to online casinos Canada with PayPal.
Let’s get started with a simple step by step guide to making your very first payment with PayPal.
- Step 1 – First, set up and verify your PayPal account. Sign-up with email, personal details and picking a strong password. You will also need to add credit/debit card or link to a bank account at some point to add money to your PayPal account and for verification.
- Step 2 – Now set up your account at your chosen casino. Again, you’ll need to add personal details and set up a secure password. At some point, you will need to verify your identity for the casino, either at sign-up, first deposit, or first withdrawal.
- Step 3 – To make your first deposit with PayPal, you will need to go into the banking section, choose PayPal as your payment method and enter the deposit amount.
- Step 4 – You will then be taken to the PayPal site to sign in with your PayPal email and password to confirm the transaction. At this point, you’ll be taken back to the casino site which will show your deposit immediately in your account – you might have even picked up an automatic casino welcome bonus!
Average time for Casino PayPal deposits and withdrawals
One of the reasons it’s such a shame we can’t use PayPal at online casino Canada is that PayPal offers you one of the fastest payment options for both depositing and withdrawing your cash.
As with most deposit methods, your PayPal deposit is instant, but the real benefit to PayPal comes with withdrawals. Where other methods such as credit card or debit card online casino Canada will take up to 3-5 business days, you’ll often find your withdrawal from a casino through PayPal can take as little as an hour or two, with the majority of PayPal withdrawals taking 24 hours, although it sometimes takes up to 48 hours.
Verification required for using PayPal at online casinos
Verifying your PayPal account takes place on signing-up with PayPal. You must confirm your email address through the link sent to the email you supplied on sign-up. Then you can link your bank account to your PayPal account or add a debit or credit card. A small charge is made to the payment method selected which has a 4-digit verification code attached. When making a casino deposit with PayPal, this 4-digit code must be entered on the PayPal verification page to confirm the payment method and reverse the charge.
Verifying your betting site account takes place at some point, usually either on sign-up, on the first deposit, or on first withdrawal. You will need to upload proof of identity (such as a government-issued photo ID) and possibly proof of residence and address (such as a utility bill).
Once you’ve verified both your PayPal account and your betting site account, you’d be all set to use PayPal at your online casino Canada site – but as we’ll explain, there are sadly no Canadian online casinos that accept PayPal!
The History of PayPal
The company that would become the global payments giant PayPal began in 1998 as Confinity which launched its PayPal digital wallet in 1999. Confinity merged with Elon Musk’s X.com online banking company in 2000 and X.com was renamed PayPal in 2001.
From here, PayPal’s meteoric rise really began. In the early days of online betting, it seemed that every betting site offered PayPal with plenty of online casino Canada offering PayPal.
In 2002, eBay came calling and bought PayPal, integrating the payment system with the growing online marketplace. A series of tech company acquisitions merely firmed up PayPal’s growing dominance, including the VeriSign secure payment system and the Bill Me Later online credit company. By 2010, there were over 100 million active PayPal accounts worldwide.
In 2014, eBay split PayPal off into a separate company and the new company continued its pattern of acquiring tech companies to add functionality to PayPal. Today, PayPal dominates the global online market as a leading e-wallet. However, as we’ll cover later, this dominance doesn’t extend to online betting for many different reasons. The end result of this is that it’s far more difficult to find an online casino Canada with PayPal than one offering competing e-wallets such as Skrill, Neteller, or EcoPayz.
PayPal Compared to Other Payment Methods And Providers
There are so many different payment methods at so many different online betting sites worldwide, including credit cards, debit cards, and a host of competing e-wallets. But there are certain unique advantages to PayPal, which is why it’s so disappointing to many players to discover that no online casino Canada has PayPal anymore.
The advantages of PayPal include instant deposits and incredibly fast withdrawals and the security advantage of separating your bank account and betting account which makes it preferred by some over using debit and credit cards. Again, back in the days you could get PayPal at online casino Canada it had one huge advantage over other e-wallets – PayPal was more often than not included in the betting site’s PayPal casino bonus offers when the likes of Skrill and Neteller were often excluded. However, with no PayPal online casino Canada available now, the lack of Skrill or Neteller bonuses is something we simply have to accept.
PayPal Casino Canada – Are there any disadvantages?
The biggest disadvantage to PayPal is that it is increasingly not being offered by betting sites – hence why there are not online casino Canada with PayPal anymore. We know Canadian players miss those good old days where there were so many online casino Canada with PayPal, but sadly we have to look at alternatives.
For more on alternative payment methods at betting sites, make sure you check out our guides to payment methods including Visa online casino Canada, MasterCard online casino Canada, or our overview of credit card online casino Canada.
Most popular payment methods – including PayPal Casino Canada!
As we’ve mentioned in our payment method comparison, all payment methods have their own unique advantages and disadvantages. As there are no online casino Canada for PayPal, you’ll be looking at the standard set of the most popular payment methods now offered by online sites, including credit and debit cards, bank transfers, and the most popular e-wallets, such as Skrill, Neteller, and the relative newcomer ecoPayz. You’ll also find those pre-paid cards at many casinos, including Paysafecard online casino Canada payments.
PayPal Casino Canada – new alternatives
But there’s a new kid on the block when it comes to popular payment methods and that’s cryptocurrency. There’s a growing trend in casino sites, particular newer sites, to accept crypto payments with Bitcoin, Ethereum, and Litecoin.
PayPal is a popular online payment method and incredibly widely known. But most of its revenue comes from non-betting transactions. So much of this comes from PayPal’s US origins and the difficult relationship the US has with online betting, particularly offshore betting sites. This has resulted in a lack of online casino Canada PayPal sites with sites having to leave PayPal off their lists of payment methods in favour of those alternative e-wallets.
More about the top casino payment methods enjoyed by Canadians
Want to use a different payment method to fund your casino gaming? Don’t worry as all of Canada’s top casino sites will feature a variety of different deposit and withdrawal options. Here are some of the most popular:
- Credit and debit cards: Nearly all Canadian online casinos will accept deposits and withdrawals with credit and debit cards. This means that you should be able to make instant deposits with the likes of Visa and MasterCard. Making withdrawals via a card might be slower, but you’d benefit from all of the security checks that these card payment brands include. Be sure to take a look at our guide to Diners Club Card Casino Canada if you still use this payment method.
- Ewallets: Obviously PayPal isn’t the only ewallet that you can use to fund your wagering. Most decent casino sites in Canada will accept alternative ewallet brands such as Skrill, Neteller, EcoPayz and much more. These tend to work in a similar way to PayPal. However, some of these ewallets may include charges for either adding funds to your account or making withdrawals from them.
- Prepaid cards: Many gamers will have enjoyed using a Paysafecard casino. These Paysafecard online casino sites will allow you to use this prepaid card to make instant deposits. By using this prepaid card to make a casino deposit Paysafecard won’t expose any of your personal information to the gaming site. However, there are a couple of drawbacks to using prepaid cards like Paysafecard and Neosurf. Firstly, Paysafecard casino bonuses can be hard to find, and you won’t be able to make withdrawals back to these prepaid cards.
- Bank transfers: Nearly all Canadian casino sites will allow you to make bank transfers both for adding money to your account and making withdrawals. Advantages of this payment method include the fact that you can often make larger deposits and withdrawals. But this comes at the cost of some of the slowest processing speeds for deposits and withdrawals. Plus some banks will add charges for using these casino sites.
- Popular Canadian payment options: Many online casinos will allow you to use payment methods that are specific to Canada. This means that you might be able to use Interac for funding your casino gaming. Other Canadian payment options include the likes of Instadebit and iDebit.
- Cryptocurrencies: More and more casino sites are starting to jump on the cryptocurrency bandwagon. This means that you might be able to make deposits and withdrawals with cryptos like Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple, Tether and much more. All of which allow you to make seriously fast deposits and withdrawals.
The PayPal FAQ – answering your most common questions about PayPal!
Using PayPal is simple and easy, but we realise you’ve still got questions about how to use PayPal for your betting, so here are our top 5 answers to those FAQs. From the online casino Canada legal requirements for PayPal to the fees incurred, these FAQs should answer any burning questions you may have.
💳 Is it legal to use PayPal at Canadian and casinos?
Yes. Completely legal. Honestly. However, because of the company not wishing to associate with gambling generally and being increasingly concerned with US gambling regulation, you will not find a PayPal online casino in Canada. Nevertheless, you can still use an online casino in Canada, including operators with a great casino bonus Canada players can access.
💰 Can I always use PayPal for both deposits and withdrawals?
Yes, you can, although sadly not in Canada. However, that does not mean that you cannot use an online casino in Canada; there are plenty to choose from, provided you are willing to use another payment method. You can see our full guide on casino payment methods at Betastic.com, so you can choose which option might be best for you and then find a suitable casino, too.
🔒 Is PayPal secure for casinos?
PayPal utilises secure encryption protocols and is a very secure payment method trusted by millions of users worldwide, though it is not without its flaws. Unfortunately, for casino purposes, PayPal is problematic in Canada, and you may need to use an alternative payment method. At Betastic.com, we have covered all of the different payment methods that are available, as well as a rundown of the casinos that accept them.
🔑 An offshore licenced site is offering me PayPal – is it safe?
We looked at plenty of the better offshore betting sites when putting together this guide and no respectable betting site we found offered PayPal – they simply aren’t allowed to. Instead, it is preferable to focus on the best online casinos in Canada and opt for a different payment method instead, which will ensure full safety while playing.
💸 Does PayPal charge a fee for casino transactions?
PayPal is a contentious issue in the online gambling world, and thus casino players need to research this method at length. At Betastic.com, we have provided full information about using PayPal in Canada for casino gaming purposes, so by reading through you should be able to optimise your betting experience in the future.
Why is it so hard to find PayPal at online betting sites and practically impossible in Canada?
PayPal always used to be an available payment method at all the best betting sites, with plenty of great online casino Canada sites for PayPal. But as the years have gone on there seem to be fewer and fewer sites offering PayPal as one of their choices and no PayPal online casino Canada anymore.
But in fact, it’s PayPal that is withdrawing its services from betting sites. Unlike other e-wallets and payment methods, PayPal’s main business comes from non-gambling activities and it is presumably more important for the company to protect its business worldwide than expand into gambling. As such, PayPal strictly adheres to the gambling legislation of each country it operates. So whilst PayPal is active in countries such as Egypt and India, the gambling regulations for those countries mean that PayPal cannot be used at betting sites in those countries.
More important to PayPal is the importance of operating legally in the USA, where federal law prohibits the transfer of monies from the USA to offshore betting sites and PayPal is very careful not to allow their services to be used for this. And it’s because of this that it is getting more and more difficult to find online casino Canada offering PayPal, as PayPal would rather not offer its service to offshore betting sites than risk being seen to break US law.
PayPal Casino Canada: Conclusion
Choosing PayPal as your payment method for your betting is a really smart move. The benefits of this e-wallet are huge – it’s got instant deposits, withdrawals that can be as quick as an hour, proven security and a great reputation as a safe, convenient and simple way to pay. And of course, the likelihood is that you may well already have a PayPal account, particularly if you’re an eBay user.
But the real problem with PayPal betting is that there are few, if any online casino Canada with PayPal available to us. There are a few reasons for this; PayPal’s seeming reluctance to associate with gambling, the issues around a US financial site and US gambling laws, and betting sites preferring to offer other methods. It’s a disappointment of course, but there are plenty of other payment methods available to you.